Getting Repairs in Section 8 and
HUD-Subsidized Housing

Important: Do not withhold rent under any circumstances. This will only provide an easy way for your landlord to evict you. If you are considering deducting for the cost of repairs or withholding rent to force your landlord to make repairs, consult an attorney first.

  1. If you have repair needs you should always start by putting a request for repairs in writing to your manager or landlord. Many buildings have a repair request form available. You may mail or hand deliver this but, make sure to date and sign the letter and save a copy for your records.
Ask for a response within a certain time period (between 3-10 days, depending on the seriousness of the problem).
  1. If you do not get a timely response, you should contact the proper authorities:

Since you are in subsidized housing, your landlord is accountable to the HUD Housing Quality Standards, which is the housing code for Federal housing. The Housing Authority has the duty to enforce this code.

If you have a Section 8 Voucher: You can call a Section 8 inspector.  If you don't know who your inspector is, you can ask your caseworker. The name of the Inspector for your property should also be on your Housing Authority notices regarding rent increases, re-certification and inspection papers. They will be listed by first initial and last name after your caseworker's name under their signature.

You also can find out who your Inspector is by calling general information at (415)715-3280.

If you can not find who your inspector is, contact Paulette Boyd at the SFHA at (415)715-3200 or boydp@sfha.org to ask who is assigned to the property.

Tip: You can also email your inspector or caseworker at lastnamefirstinitial@sfha.org

  • If your problem involves vermin, mold, or insect infestation you can also contact the Health Department to help document the problem at (415) 252-3800. Request that they send an inspector to view the problem.

In HUD Subsidized housing, you can also send a copy of your letter to the local HUD office. You can call to ask who the Project Manager or Project Chief for your property is at 436-6550. Address your letter to the Asset Management Department at:

US Department of Housing and Urban Development
450 Golden Gate Avenue, 8th Floor
San Francisco, California 94102

HUD also has a toll free number to report "bad landlords" at 1-800-685-8470.

If you still do not get a response from HUD, you may want to contact your Congressperson since they have jurisdiction over HUD. Most San Franciscans are represented by Congressmember Nancy Pelosi's office. You can send a letter to her office at:

450 Golden Gate, #145378, SF, CA 94102

or call (415)556-4862 or email via her web site.

If you need further help, call to speak to a counselor at 703-8644 or consult our list of legal services.