HOUSING RIGHTS COMMITTEE has fought for tenants rights since 1979, when a group of seniors at Old St. Mary’s Church came together to organize against condo conversions displacing the elderly. Meet our staff!
Here’s what we do and offer:
- Free counseling for San Francisco tenants in all types of housing: rent-controlled units, SROs, public housing and Section 8, serving over 5,000 tenants a year.
- Organize entire buildings to fight against displacement and evictions
- Successfully change and support housing-related laws for a more fair San Francisco
- Help create building and community-wide tenants groups
- Coordinate, plan and mobilize protests, actions and housing justice demonstrations
- Advocate for tenants in Section 8 and public housing
- Sponsor workshops, community meetings and other events
- Work with the Anti-Displacement Coalition, a network of tenant organizations and allies to organize against the soaring evictions and rent increases in our city
We offer both call-in and drop-in counseling. Our dedicated staff of volunteer counselors are trained to help tenants identify their options for problems with evictions, illegal rent increases, repair problems, security deposit returns, and more.
Housing Rights Committee is a membership organization. Our members make our voice strong and help us continue to support renters in need. Please make a donation to us today!