Monday through Thursday, 1-5pm
1663 Mission, #504, cross street is 13th

We offer peer counseling for tenants four days a week either via telephone or in person at our office. It doesn't matter what type of housing you live in, but if you are a Section 8 tenant, you must email or call first for an appointment: karen@hrcsf.org or (415) 7093-8634, ext. 108. When you come into the office, it is helpful that you bring the following documents:

Proof of income (check stub, SSI card, food stamp card, benefits award letter, etc.), but no one will be turned away because they don't have it. This does not apply if you call the office for counseling.

Your lease (if you have more than one, bring them all).

All letters, notes and emails you've received from the landlord, property manager, master tenant, or anyone else acting for the landlord. Additionally, all correspondence you've sent to any of these folks that is relevant to the issues at hand.

All court papers or documents from the Rent Board or any governmental agency, such as the Department of Public Health and the Department of Building Inspections, or the Housing Authority (if you're on Section 8 or in public housing).

If payment of rent is being disputed, bring receipts or cancelled checks.


Counseling is available most times in Chinese, Spanish and English. A Russian speaker is available sometimes, check with us as to whether we have one on hand when you call.

Our office is accessible by MUNI/BART. Buses that come within walking distance of our office include: 14, 49, 33, 22, and 49. If you take BART, get off at 16th & Mission and walk three blocks.
we won't go

Become an HRCSF volunteer tenants rights counselor and help clients who call or come into our free tenants rights clinic. Students can also do internships at our office. Click here for more info. Or call us at 415-703-8634 and ask for Tommi or Stephanie.