Housing Rights Committee offers counseling on tenants rights issues in San Francisco only. If you live in another California county, try contacting Tenants Together, which is a statewide organization, or search Google to find a tenants rights or housing rights group in your area.
If you live in San Francisco and you’re having a problem (such as an illegal rent increase, evictions, roommate problems, mold, repair issues, etc.), we’ll do our best to help you. For information on some of the common issues tenants face, click the topics below. Para información en Español, haz click aqui. If you don’t find the answers you need on this site, you can always contact our counseling team.
If you drop in, please bring all the paperwork you have received from your landlord (eviction notice, unlawful detainer, letters) as well as a copy of your lease (if you have one) and proof of income, which we need to see because of grants we receive, to keep our counseling programs free. However, no one will be denied counseling without it.
- Eviction, Relocation Money, Just Cause, Fire Issues
- Habitability/ Repair Issues
- Heat Issues
- Landlord Entry, Lockouts, Utility Shutoffs, Harassment
- Noise Issues
- Rent Board, Rent Control, Rent Board hearings & fees
- Rent Increases, Utility Passthroughs, Banking, Capital Improvements
- Roommates/ Subletting
- Security Deposits
- Sale of Building / Foreclosure
- Tenant Resources