Monday to Thursday, 1-5pm
1663 Mission St, Suite #504
San Francisco, CA 94103
Monday, Wednesday-Friday 9am-12noon (closed Tuesday)
4301 Geary Blvd at 7th Ave
We offer peer counseling for tenants four days a week either via telephone or in person at each of our offices. It doesn’t matter what type of housing you live in, but if you are in Section 8 or Public Housing, you must call first for an appointment. We work with all tenants regardless of citizenship status.
When you come into the office, it is helpful that you bring the following documents:
- Proof of income (check stub, SSI card, food stamp card, benefits award letter, etc.), but no one will be denied counseling if they don’t have it.
- Your lease (if you have more than one, bring them all).
- All letters, notes and emails you’ve received from the landlord, property manager, master tenant, or anyone else acting for the landlord. Additionally, all correspondence you’ve sent to any of these folks that is relevant to the issues at hand.
- All court papers or documents from the Rent Board or any governmental agency, such as the Department of Public Health, Department of Building Inspections, or the Housing Authority (if you’re on Section 8 or in public housing).
- If payment of rent is being disputed, bring receipts or cancelled checks.
IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN UNLAWFUL DETAINER (COURT PAPERS), YOU NEED TO GO TO THE EVICTION DEFENSE COLLABORATIVE, 1338 Mission, 4th floor, 9-11AM and 1-3PM.
Counseling is available most times in Chinese, Spanish and English. A Russian speaker is available sometimes as well or by appointment. It’s best to check with us as to what language support we have before you come. We do NOT accept counseling questions via email.
Directions to our offices
Our Mission office is accessible by MUNI/BART. Buses that come within walking distance of our office include: 33, 22, 14, 49, and 12. If you take MUNI underground, get off at Van Ness and walk down South Van Ness one block and make a right on Mission. If you take BART, get off at 16th & Mission and walk three blocks on Mission.
Our Richmond office is also accessible by MUNI. Buses that come within walking distance of our office include: 38, 44, 1, 5, 28 and 33.